EnableMart sponsored an educational webinar with Gordy Rogers, M.S. CCC-SLP, Chief Scientific Officer of Articulate Technologies Inc. Gordy shares an overview of Speech Buddies and he explains how this tool is a solution to deliver tactile feedback to train correct tongue placement and movement.
“The coordination aspect of speech is the real focus here…Speech is the most complex thing we do motorically, so coordination is generally speaking the part of speech our children have trouble with.” Gordy Rogers
This informative webinar is presented in 5 parts:
Part 1: What is tactile feedback
- What is the tactile feedback methodology
- Why it works
- Acknowledgment that Speech and Language Pathologist (SLPs) use this strategy already
Part 2: How Speech Buddies is a solution
- Durable handheld tools
- Teach correct/precise tongue placement
- FDA listed and high quality
- An online training program is available to accompany use of this tool
- An explanation and visual is shared of each Speech Buddy R/S/CH/L/SH
- Highlights of the toughest clinical problems (/r/, Lateral/s/, Lateral /sh/)
Videos describing how to use each Speech Buddy are available at www.speechbuddies.com
Part 3: Measuring Effectiveness
- Several research studies were conducted, Gordy shares a few within the presentation such as the INTACT Trial (efficacy study /s/), R Treatment Technologies and Parent Driven Therapy both presented at ASHA conferences. He also shared data from a study conducted with 5 charter schools in New York on the effectiveness of Speech Buddies in school-based therapy.
Part 4: Using Speech Buddies in Practice
- According to Gordy, Speech Buddies has had an observable benefit to students with speech articulation disorders of all severities, Apraxia of speech and accent modification for those learning the English language.
- Articulate Technologies Inc. offers Speech Buddies University, which is an additional tool available to professionals and parents. Gordy explains that this online tool complements Speech Buddies and can be used to create a therapy plan, monitor progress, assign homework and connect with parents. Best of all, access to this is free!
Part 5: Conclusion
- Speech Buddies are a great consideration for a first treatment method for speech disorders.
- Proven method and product
- The professional set includes all five Buddies or they can be purchased individually
Watch the webinar through the EnableMart website to learn more about Speech Buddies.
Visit EnableMart to learn more about and purchase these and other related products.
Written by Gabe Ryan, EnableMart Blog Writer and Contributor from Sacramento, California. He enjoys creating abstract paintings, as well as spending time with his family and friends. He enjoys exploring and using his iPad and iPhone. One of his favorite things to do is listening to music ranging from Journey to Macklemore. He is always interested in trying new things, getting out in the community and meeting new people. Using varied assistive technology tools to better access his environments comes second nature to him as he has used a wheelchair since he was three years old. Some of these tools have been life-changing for him and they have opened up new opportunities. He looks forward to sharing his experiences and perspectives with our readers.