According to the Glaucoma Research Foundation, Glaucoma is a group of eye diseases that gradually steal sight without warning. In the early stages of the disease, there may be no symptoms. Experts estimate that over 2.2 million American live with Glaucoma and half of the people affected may not know they have it.
There is no cure for Glaucoma, though medication or surgery can slow or prevent further vision loss. The appropriate treatment depends upon the type of Glaucoma; early detection is vital to stopping the progress of the disease.
Doctors at WebMD suggest if you are over the age of 40 and if you have a family history of glaucoma, you should have a complete eye exam with an ophthalmologist every one to two years. If you have health problems such as Diabetes or a family history of Glaucoma or are at risk for other eye diseases, you may need to visit your eye doctor more frequently.
For individuals already living with low vision caused by Glaucoma, aids such as handheld and desktop magnifiers can help maintain independence. Continue to enjoy books or the newspaper, view pictures or prescription labels, or write checks and letters.
Try the Freedom Desktop Magnifer:
The Freedom Machine Desktop Video Magnifier features no glare glass optics, giving you vivid image quality and clarity not found anywhere else. It's great for viewing catalogs, reading mail, writing out bills or doing this week's crossword puzzle. The Freedom Machine offers high definition contrast and powerful magnification perfect for low vision and macular degeneration
- Magnifies 1.3x - 85x
- Choose from 17, 19, 22, 24, 26 and 28-inch flat panel monitors
- Autofocus for fast, easy viewing
- Full color display provides vivid viewing of photos, crafts, and all print material
- Illuminated with LEDs rated for 100,000 use less energy, longer lifetime, smaller size, and reduced mercury
- Adjustable monitor
- Easy to use with 2 button, color-coded control
- Newspapers, magazines, medicine bottles and personal items easily fit on the smooth gliding XY reading table.
- Only 1.5-inches above the actual surface of your desk, slide objects onto the table instead of placing them
- High definition compatible glass camera
For a handheld option, try the Eye-Q Portable Video Magnifier:
The Eye-Q features built-in foldable writing legs that add increased flexibility making it easy to sign checks and write up brief notes.
- 2x - 15x magnification
- 4.2" high resolution, anti-glare, 16:9 TFT-LCD wide screen
- Color, B/W and reverse images
- Brightness control automatically and instantly, no extra button needed
- Freeze Frame allows you to take a temporary still picture
- Side camera and foldable legs make a perfect Writing Mode for both right and left hand
- Very long Depth Of Field makes clear view at various working distances
- Wide Viewing Angle to see more words in a printing column
- Rechargeable Lithium battery
- Continuous autofocusing provides instant readability at different distances
- Easily connects to display on a television screen
- Simple, easy to operate with just 2 buttons
- Grip and hold comfortably in both left and right hand in any position
- Anti-Blur™ technology
- Includes case with shoulder strap